Monday, July 25, 2011

Meeting Norman Goodwin

Nationally known urban artist Norman Goodwin* came into Studio 116 during d'Art's 25th Anniversary reception on July 9. The reputation of this highly talented Hampton Roads phenom precedes him, so I was well aware that my paintings were under the highest scrutiny from one who would have no qualms about openly critiquing my work in the company of others. When he asked Ray for introductions, I was a bit cautious after he had been quietly observing my wall of art. A few questions later, he offered the ultimate approval with, "I love your work; your colors, your brushstrokes, your balance. You are a good painter. And I don't say that to many people." 
Ultimate fear gave way to ultimate honor and the night was good!
After the weekend, I had a voicemail from Norman: "I have been thinking about your paintings all weekend. There isn't a bad one in the lot and I want to buy one." We have been chatting a couple times a week now, working out a delivery date!
*Norman Goodwin's paintings are collected by museums, including MOMA, the Chrysler Museum, Art Institute of Chicago and the Nasher Museum at Duke University. He is a certified fine arts appraiser and conservator.

No comments:

Post a Comment